Sunday 13 June 2010

BYU Womens conference

You may remember a while ago I went to the states for a womens conferance. I had the most wonderful time and had the best girlie time ever.
 First I flew to L.A. to spend a couple of nights with my good friends then us girls, ( 5in total as we gave this cute lady a lift all the way to her son's house in Spanish Fork) drove to Provo, Utah. We all shared a room and laughed our socks off almost continuously. Two of the girls I'd known for over 20yrs, (mum Paula & daughter Mary) but I met their good friend Kitty just the day before we set off on our road trip. We hit it off straight away and bonded in our own little craft world, she has a black Cricut Expression which she won, I adored it!

The womens conferance is a 2 day event aimed, as you might guess, totally at women and our lives, issues and needs. There were literally dozens of sessions to choose from each morning and afternoon, each based on a scripture but applied in a realistic way to our time. Over 15,000 women attended. The Thursday night we were treated to a fab concert of great artists including Hillary Weeks (a beautiful voice and hillarious), Alex Boye (he is a storm),.......

In most of the sessions you could choose to complete a service project at the back of the session room. Here we decorated papier mache boxes, 500 were completed in just one day. They will be distributed around hospitals in the area to parents of still born babies as keepsakes. The hospitals put a photo and plaster cast hand/foot print in the box.















This was such a lovely service project, we made 5 between 3 of us. It was an experience I'll always treasure and hope to do again someday. Of course, I had to make a Thankyou card in advance and a birthday card for Mary. Here they are.


I used corrugated craft card, Kanban card and a downloadable image & sentiment that was then coloured with Promarkers. I blinged it up a little with some pearls and organza ribbon.









Again, Kanban card, Kanban topper, organza ribbon and acrylic stamped sentiments. I hand wrote..." sorry I missed your birthday - I was too busy shopping!"
I thought it was cute even though it was a real quickie card, hope you like it.
see you all soon x

No comments: